Branch uses a third party tool called Plaid to facilitate a secure connection to thousands of U.S. financial institutions. If you’re having trouble connecting your external bank in our app while using Plaid, please review the errors prompts you might encounter and the suggested remedies listed below:
- Invalid credentials
- Your institution is not recognizing either your username or password as correct. Please verify that your credentials are working properly by logging in directly to your institution online. If your credentials are working properly, try re-entering them in the Branch app.
- New username
- Your username may have recently changed. You will want to completely re-add your account with your new username.
- Your account setting are incompatible
- The type of Multi-Factor Authentication your institution uses to verify your identity is not compatible with Branch. We would recommend logging into your institution's site and changing your security settings to ask security questions rather than send another one time code.
- Updated bank account online settings
- Financial institutions occasionally make changes to their protocols for accessing accounts online. If this occurs it's best to reach out to your bank to further troubleshoot.
- Log in at your institution's website and follow their instructions
- Some institutions will require that you log in via their main site to complete extra security steps or verify that you attempted to add your account to Branch.
- Incorrect answer to a security question
- You will see this error if you have answered the security questions for your account incorrectly. If this occurs it's best to reach out to your bank to further troubleshoot.
- Online bank credentials not created
- If this occurs it's best to reach out to your bank to further troubleshoot.
- Unsupported bank
- Your bank is not yet supported by Branch. This is outside of our control, and there's nothing we can do to add your bank to the list.
Important to Note: If the issue you’re encountering can't be resolved by taking these steps, Plaid may be currently unable to establish a connection to your institution. Many account connection errors usually get resolved by the account aggregators and banks within several hours to a day. We recommend waiting and attempting to connect to your institution again after an appropriate time interval.