If your Branch debit card or virtual debit card purchase is being declined, there may be a few reasons why this is happening:
Your PIN was entered incorrectly:
- Reset your PIN through the app and retry the transaction.
Your available balance was not sufficient:
- Check your account's available balance to ensure that there are enough funds to cover the purchase.
Your available balance does not contain enough funds to cover the additional 20% authorization hold used to accommodate potential tips/transaction variables that may be added to the final transaction amount:
- Check your account balance and ensure it has enough funds to cover the total amount of your transaction plus an additional 20% in case there is an additional amount added to the authorization hold (to cover tips, hotel incidentals, etc.).
The payment information needs to be updated with the merchant:
- Check to make sure that your card information on file with the merchant is up to date and matches exactly your current card information displayed in the app.
You are using your card at an unsupported merchant:
The following merchants are unsupported:
- Car rental agencies (e.g., Enterprise, Hertz, Avis)
- Casinos/gambling-related merchants
- Pawn shops/pawn-related merchants
- "Adult" themed merchants
- All merchants physically located outside of the United States as well as transactions that are digitally processed outside of the United States are not supported.
The merchant does not support the Branch debit card as a payment method:
- Some merchants may not accept the Branch debit card, and this is not within our control. The merchant should communicate that their payment system is unable to accept the card if this is the case.
You are reaching one of our usage limits:
- These limits are outlined in our Cardholder agreement.
Your card is locked:
- Make sure that your card has been unlocked before attempting another purchase.
Still need help? For the quickest resolution, access one of the links below from your mobile device to engage in live chat support.
Alternatively, you can submit a support request here through our website.